Re: kale and black eye peas

Hello everybody,

Today I found this recipe at Vegan Times. I omitted the oil. I cannot try
it, as in Suriname kale is not sold. Perhaps you can make it with black eye
peas instead of chick peas?

Curly Kale and Chick Pea Balti - (menu)
serves 2

pinch of cumin seeds
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
400g/14oz tin of tomatoes
1 tbsp dried ground coriander
1 tsp dried ground turmeric
powdered vegan stock powder or salt to taste
400g/14oz tin of chick peas
115g/4oz curly kale
ground black pepper to taste
Peel and chop the onion. Crush the garlic. Remove any overly thick stems
from the kale and then chop the leaves. Drain and rinse the chick peas

Place a wok or large pan over a medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and once
they begin to sizzle, spoon in some water and peas liquid. Add the onion.
Stir fry for a couple of minutes.

Add the garlic and cook for a further minute, being careful that it doesn't
burn. Add the tomatoes &emdash; chop them in the pan with a large spoon.
Then add all the remaining ingredients except the ground black pepper

Bring to a boil and cook for 5-10 minutes until the kale has softened to
your liking

Season with plenty of freshly ground black pepper and check for saltiness,
adding any more stock powder needed. Serve immediately with rice or chapatis

Have a good meal!

Myrna Laret
Suriname