posting recipes

Hey all, your listowner here,

It's been a long time since I have had the time to updated the web
site.  I do hope to do so at some point (really!).  The list has been
going for over 5 years now and when I kept us up to date it would take
about 5 to 10 hours a week.  Maybe not much, but seems a lot when you
consider it is week in and week out for years, and alas, I did decide
to take a break from that work for the past year or so.

There is one big thing you all can do to help make that task much
easier when I get the time to add recipes to the web site.  I know I
haven't been active in awhile so we have new members who don't know
this and some who don't remember.  Recipes added to the web site must
conform to the list rules for recipes.  This means they cannot
included oil in their ingredients.  Not even if you list them as
"omitted".  In such cases, I need to edit the recipe myself, taking
out that line, and putting in your advice to substitute with stock,
for instance.  Or, I decide to leave the recipes out of the archives
which can be loss, because you all have such great contributions.

So, it would be a tremendous help to me and to everyone who visits the
web site if you could re-write the recipe to meet the list guidelines.
For instance, if you advise that the oil be replaced by stock, edit
the recipe so that it reads, for example, "1 T stock" in the
ingredients and "stir fry the onions in stock" in the text, with no
mention of the omitted oil.  Also, if you are forwarding from a
published source, rewriting the recipe helps you to avoid violating
someone elses copyright (the ingredient list and procedure of recipe
isn't copyrightable, but the actual text describing the procedure can
be).  You can acknowledge the original source by adding a line such as
"recipe adapted from XYZ Cookbook".  This way you give credit where
it is due, don't violate someone else's copyright, fully conform to
the list rules for this list, and make things easier for me!  Way
cool. It should go without saying that if you think the recipe
wouldn't work without oil that you should post it to a low fat group
rather than this one.

If anyone needs a new copy of the rules for recipes as a refresher,
they should be at the web site as well as available by email to
fatfree-request@xxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject: archive faqs

BTW, for those looking for a list that allows a little more oil
(besides the low-fat list), I am considering a "power foods" list.
This, if I decide to start it, will be a rather *odd* list, focused on
vegan food plus fish, that is low fat (but not necessarily oil free),
low sugar, low in processed grains (whole grains OK), high fiber, and
high in good phytochemicals.  I'll let you all know if I decide to get
it going.

In any case, I hope I took more care in wording this message to the
list than the last one.  I fear that since I've been in excruciating
pain from the recent pinched nerve and diagnosed cervical spine
arthritis (it shouldn't be fair that a 32 year old gets arthritis,
should it? MD said it was probably caused by genetic deformity) I
might have come across as not so nice.  Hope I did better this time!

Take care all,

--
Michelle Dick       artemis@xxxxxxxxx       East Palo Alto, CA