Greens

Greens, particularly collards, in addition to providing vitamins galore,
give us a treasure trove of calcium, even more than the stuff that comes
from cows.

Instead of boiling them I remove the stems, roll the leaves, and slice them
into strips.

Then, in a large frying pan over medium heat,  I sauté onions and a bit of
garlic in veggie stock or just plain water.  Then when the onions become
translucent, in go all of the greens.  I toss them to get the onions and
garlic mixed in with them, pour in about a tablespoon of liquid smoke, then
cover the pan.

After about five minutes I aggravate the greens one more time, cover the
pan, and after three to five minutes, the greens are done and ready for
serving.  If desired, some more liquid smoke can be added to the greens just
before they are removed from the pan.

The result is wonderfully cooked greens that are not mushy and taste great!

Beverly Kurtin