Hot water and lemon/citrus

   I recall reading M.F.K. Fisher's book A Cordiall Water some years ago,
and in it, she told a story about someone in her life beginning each day
with a drink that had been made the night before from the peelings of a
grapefruit. You cover the peelings with boiling water, and in the morning,
you drink this liquid, chug chug, first thing.
   Yes, it might be very cleansing (I believe that was M.F.K.'s theory). It
should provide both both Vitamin C, from the skin itself, and
bioflavonoids, from the pith.
   But these days, if I were going to do this, I think I'd really scrub
that fruit.

Kathleen Wilson
Glenwood, Nova Scotia