"non-fat" dairy products

To all and especially the person who is confused that 'fatfree' margerine has
fat in it:

The FDA in their infinite wisdom has set certain food labeling rules such as:
if a serving has less than .5g fat it can be labeled 'fatfree'
and the label can read 0g fat
if a serving has less than 5 calories it can be labeled 'calorie free'
etc...

I once saw a recipe for 'fatfree' lasagne that used 1 cup of Kraft fatfree
parmesan sprinkles and 2 cups of Kraft fatfree shredded mozerella.  Both of
these are labeled 0g fat per serving.  Since it is always best to assume
(especially in the case of fatfree dairy products) that when the label says
0g fat, there is really pobably .49g fat per serving!  This seems trivial,
but in the case of the lasagne here is the tally:
Parmesan= approx .5g fat per 2 teaspoons (serving listed on back)
Mozerella= approx .5g fat per 1/4 cup shredded
So in this "fat free" recipe:
1 cup parm = 12g fat
and 2 cups moz= 4 g fat
So instead of adding 0 g fat as you might assume from the labels, you are
actually added about 16 g fat!

which to be fair only comes to one or one and a half g fat per piece of
lasagne- depending on how big the peice is!-and that is pretty darn good IMH,
but the labeling thing is very misleading

The calorie-free rule can be seen on some mustard labels:
serving size = one teaspoon, fat=0g, calories= 0  !!!!

Just an example..........

I still use some of these products once and a while, but I'm glad I
understand what I am really getting.

Pam D