Russian Fluff

Here's one that kids are guaranteed to like. I hate to admit it, but I love it, too.

Back in Milwaukee, where my wife Helen comes from, they have a dish they call Russian Fluff (I don't know why). Last week, Helen made a nofat vegetarian version that our kids liked so much that she made it again yesterday.

You put three cans of condensed tomato soup and a can of diced tomatoes in a large nonstick skillet or pot.  Add one clove of minced garlic (or garlic powder) and one half medium yellow onion.  Add one cup of texturized soy protein granules (it's also called texturized vegetable protein, or TVP). Simmer for about 15 minutes, adding water, if necessary, to keep it from getting too thick. It should be about the consistency of tomato soup or just a little thicker. Then add about a couple of cups of peas, salt to taste, and keep simmering until the peas are done (or warm, if they're canned).

Serve this mess over any kind of pasta, elbow noodles, spagetti, bowties...whatever, and step well back while the kids scarf it up and ask for more.

Vincent