tortilla wraps

I got this recipe from this digest at least a year ago. It remains one of our all-time favorites. I also use the bean mixture with shredded cheese to make fantastic bean burritos. They are a great "sandwich" if you have access to a microwave.

Tortilla Black Bean Casserole

In a skillet:

2 cups chopped onion (or to taste)
1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 14 1/2 oz can tomatoes, cut up
3/4 cup picante sauce
2 tsp ground cumin

2 15 oz cans black beans or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
12 6 inch corn tortillas
8 oz shredded fat free cheese (I use cheddar)
2 medium tomatoes, chopped (optional)
2 cups shredded lettuce (optional)
1 cup fatfree sour cream (optional)

Saute the onion,pepper, garlic, tomatoes, picante and cumin until lightly cooked. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in beans.

In a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan (I find smaller works OK, too): Spread 1/3 of the bean mixture over the bottom. Top with 1/2 the tortillas, overlap as necessary, and 1/2 the cheese. Add another 1/3 of the bean mixture, then remaining tortillas and bean mixture. Cover and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. We pass the chopped fresh tomatoes, lettuce, and ff sour cream at the table for individual toppings.

Makes six delicious servings.

Susan M. Staecker staecker@xxxxxxxxxx