meat substitutes

I have seen some recipes with the flavorings I like but they call for, say,
one pound of beef cubes.  Have any of you come up with bean substitutes to
replace certain kinds of meat.  For example, which bean can replace beef,
which can replace lamb?  And, how much (what weight) replaces 1 pound of
meat?

I don't like using the stuff that simulates meat. No matter what I do to it,
it still tastes weird to me.

Thanks for your help.  Bette