dried fava beans

The following is from _Lean Bean Cuisine_ by Jay Solomon, published by Prima
Publishing in 1995.  I haven't tried this but I love the cookbook, in fact I
love all his cookbooks.  NOt always low fat or fatfree but most are easily
converted.

Moroccan Fava Bean Stew
4 servings

each serving
438 calories
15 grams protein
7 grams dietary fiber
69 gram carbohydrate
17 mg sodium
0 cholesterol

(he says 12 grams of fat but that is with the 2 tablespoons oil that I have
omitted.)

1 large onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 tomato, cored and diced
3 or 4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
2 cups diced pumpkin or butternut or acorn squash
1 cup cooked or canned small fava or cranberry beans, drained
1 cup cooked or canned chick peas, drained
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
2 tablespoons harissa (Moroccan chile paste)
1 cup couscous

saute onions and bell pepper in 2 tablespoons water for about 5 minutes.
Add tomato and garlic and cook for 4 minutes more.  Stir in the remaining
ingredients (except couscous) and cook for 30 minutes over medium heat until
the squash is tender.  Stir occasionally.

Stir in the couscous, cover and let sit for 10 minutes.

enjoy, Jan G