CRUSTY-PIZZA-DOUGH RECIPE

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 23:40:12 -0400
 From: ReddHedd@xxxxxxx

 Here is the recipe for my favorite pizza crust.  I've been tinkering with
it
 for the last few months, and I've finally come up with one I can be happy
 with (and without using any oil).

 CRUSTY PIZZA DOUGH
 (for a 1 1/2-pound bread machine)
 1 c. Water
 1  Tbsp. Unsweetened applesauce (preferably Granny Smith)
 ½ tsp. Salt
 1 ½ c. All-purpose flour
 1 ½ c. Whole wheat flour
 1 ½ tsp. Yeast
 Use the dough cycle (or the basic cycle on manual).  Once dough has gone
 through the first rise & a full second kneading, remove the dough from the
 bread machine.  Roll dough into a rectangle or circle (depending on your
 pizza sheet).  Spray pan with a little Pam.  Place dough on pan, turning
any
 excess dough under to form a crust along the outer edge.  For a thick &
chewy
 crust, let rise 30 minutes before baking; for thin crust, bake right away.
  Bake in a preheated 500 F oven for 3 minutes.  Remove and add sauce &
 toppings.  Bake for 5 to 7 minutes until crust begins to brown and any
cheese
 is melted.  (HINT: When using fat free cheese, always place the cheese on
the
 absolute bottom of the toppings -- on top of the crust, but under the
sauce.
  This will prevent the
 cheese from becoming rubbery.)  NOTE: You can add herbs or garlic powder to
 the pizza dough as it is kneading for a more flavorful crust.  Serves 4.
333
 calories per serving.  1 g fat.  4% of calories from fat.