Translation, please!

Hi, all,

Happy June, everyone.  I'm here to once again display my ignorance, this time
hour's drive west).  Are you enjoying our hot, sticky pre-summer swelter?

First, because I'm extremely silly, you have to help me rid myself of the
idiotic mental picture I have of an "heirloom tomato salad".  As I am neither
trendy nor on vacation, I have no idea what that could be in reality.  Then
we move onto Michelle's comment, <<  Yamaimo?  Ewww.  You probably like
natto, too, don't you?  >>  I'm guessing that yamaimo relates to the mountain
potato sashimi (I know what sashimi is but we're probably not talking about a
normal potato) and what is natto???

Please, someone please post the answers to the list for others who may be
terminally curious but not as willing to admit it.  So many new foods, so
little time to experiment...