Seafoam Frosting

Seafoam Frosting is almost as good as seafoam candy (something like fudge
but lighter in texture and made with brown sugar).

SEAFOAM FROSTING - enough to fill and frost a 9" (2-layer) cake (16
servings)

2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 egg white
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1/8 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. water
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine all ingredients except vanilla in the top of a double boiler, set
over boiling water, and beat with a rotary beater or portable electric
mixer until mixture stands in peaks. Off heat, add vanilla and continue
beating until mixture will hold deep swirls. Use at once.
50 cal. per serving.

This is an old-fashioned frosting - I remember my mother making it often,
but I haven't done it for years. She also made the White Mountain frosting
and at Christmas would add crushed peppermint canes and red coloring to
make a pink peppermint frosting. I suppose she also used oil of peppermint
in it - but I'm sorry I can't remember. I would follow the variation for
7-minute frosting to be on the safe side.
Nancy - hope you enjoy taking cakes to family gatherings this summer and
hope these recipes are of some help.

Patty in AZ