Re: Christmas Cookies

I've made this recipe every year for the last 5 years. I really like them.

Jenny Herl              |   "The world has enough for everyone's need,
jlherl@xxxxxxxx         |    but not enough for everyone's greed."
University of Illinois  |
Urbana-Champaign        |    --attributed to Mahatma Ghandi (1869-1948)

                    *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

                           Gingerbread Cookies

Recipe By     : The New American Diet
Categories    : Cookies

     1/4  cup           applesauce
     1/2  cup           brown sugar
   1 1/2  cups          dark molasses -- (blackstrap gives a
                         -- tart taste & is FULL
                         -- of IRON - don't use
                         -- more than 1/3 c)
     1/2  cup           cold water
   3      cups          white flour
   3      c             whole wheat flour
   2      tsp           allspice
   2      tsp           ginger
   2      tsp           cloves
   2      tsp           cinnamon
   2      tsp           vanilla
   2      tsp           baking soda
     1/2  tsp           salt
   1      tbsp          cold water

Mix the applesauce, brown sugar and molasses together thoroughly. Stir in
1/2 cup cold water and vanilla. Mix together dry ingredients. Add to the
dough. Add 1 T cold water. Mix well. Cover bowl and chill dough (for at
least one hour.) Preheat oven to 350. Roll out dough thick (1/2 inch).
Cuts with small glass (1-2 inch diameter). Place on lightly oiled
(sprayed) cookie sheet. Bake about 10 minutes (until no imprint remains
when touched lightly with finger). Notes: This recipe is from Sonja and
William Conner's The New American Diet (pp. 365).