fenugreek

re:
>Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 08:40:04 -0500
>From: Ken <keno21176@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: fenugreek

>Fenugreek is a powerful, pungent Indian spice (aren't they all?) found
>usually in whole seed form, although sometimes is already ground up...

   I would add to Ken's description that [to me] fenugreek tastes something
like licorice -or reminds me of that taste- and a notable feature of the
seed is the gel-like substance it produces, when it's cooked or added to
liquid.
   So in a stew, I suppose it might be added both for flavor and for thickening.

Kathleen Wilson
Glenwood, Nova Scotia