Salt Free Cooking

>Until you get into the habit, remove all salt shakers from the table.  It
would be best to empty them and pack them away in a closet.  And give away
the salt in your cupboard!  If a recipe calls for salt, just omit it.
Baking powder and baking soda are also high sodium items.  You don't need it!

>Recommend Mrs. Dash (several variations) and NoSalt which can be found in
most groceries.  Increase other spices when cooking.  I season with onion
powder, garlic powder, oregano, basil, thyme, parsley, tarragon, bay
leaves, etc.  Many other people like pepper.  Use Colman's dry mustard,
tomato paste or tomato puree without added salt.  After a while, after you
lose your "salt tooth," many "no salt added" canned goods will taste great.

>Books:
>(1) Secrets of Salt-Free Cooking by Jeanne Jones, ISBN 0-89286-147-9,
published by 101 Productions, 834 Mission St., San Francisco, CA 94103.

>(2) Salt-Free Cooking with Herbs and Spices by June Roth, ISBN
0-8092-7722-0, published by Comtemporary Books, Inc., 180 North Michigan
Ave,. Chicago, IL 60601.

>(3) Any books by Dr. Dean Ornish and/or Dr. John McDougal are excellent.
>
>When eating out, find places with salad bars.  There is "no sodium" pop
called Diet Rite in several flavors.  Use fresh or frozen vegetables and
fruits without sauces.  There are many low sodium commercial products but
check with your doctor.  Also after your blood pressure is under control,
your doctor may let you have canned vegetables rinsed in water without the
brine.  The least sodium you can tolerate the better you will be.

American Heart Assoc. cookbook has too much salt in it.  Never add salt to
any recipe.  Add more spices instead.  Garlic is a good substitute.

Our ancestors didn't have much salt or sugar!

Best wishes