Vegetable Fried Rice

I'm now making fried rice using this recipe as the master. The vegetables change depending on what is in the house or what meets our fancy. Last week I added steamed fresh broccoli. Use vegetables that add color, such as the GREEN pea pods and the RED pepper. You can also toss in some baked tofu, for added protein.

This cookbook is not fatfree, but I find that I can make most of the recipes to be fatfree.

Kathleen

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                           Vegetable Fried Rice

Recipe By     : BH&G Low-Fat & Luscious Vegetarian, page 113 - adapted
Categories    : Main Dishes, Vegetarian          Rice
                Vegetables

   1      tablespoon    sherry
   2      cups          finely chopped fresh mushrooms
   1      cup           thinly sliced green onions
   1      cup           red pepper
   1      cup           thinly sliced fresh pea pods
   6      cups          cooked brown rice -- well chilled
   3      tablespoons   water
   2      tablespoons   reduced-sodium soy sauce
   2      tablespoons   dry sherry -- (optional)
     1/2  cup           Egg Beaters® 99% egg substitute

This recipe was adapted to be fatfree.

To simplify this Asian-inspired brown rice dish, make the rice in advance. Cover and chill it overnight. You'll only need 30 minutes to prepare dinner the next day.

Add the 1 tablespoon sherry to a 12-inch skillet,and preheat over medium heat just until warm. Add the mushrooms, green onions, red pepper, and pea pods. Cook and stir about 2 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Stir in the chilled rice. Spread mixture evenly in the skillet. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes without stirring. Stir thoroughly with a metal turner, lifting and turning the browned rice from the bottom of the skillet. Spread rice mixture evenly in skillet; cook for 5 to 7 minutes more or until rice is lightly browned on bottom.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together the water, soy sauce, and sherry, if desired. Stir soy sauce mixture into the rice mixture. Drizzle Egg Beaters over; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until eggs start to set. Stir thoroughly; cook 1 to 2 minutes more or until eggs are set. Makes 4 main-dish servings.

Cooking/chilling time (rice): 8 hours. Preparation time: 15 minutes. Cooking time: 15 minutes.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 2673 0 4921 4373 0 0 5063 0 3220