Re: Tofu puddings and pies

On Sat, 9 Dec 2000 03:19:41 -0800, you wrote:

>Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 21:29:52 -0700
>From: "Kelly Turner" <tofupate@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Unidentified subject!
>
>I recently found some recipes for tofu puddings and pies.  I thought it was
>kind of strange that all of them call for the use of oil. Does anybody know
>why?  In the pudding one recipe calls for 1/4 cup! Please let me know if
>anyone can  think of an answer.  Thank you

I don't know if it's actually strange (after all billions -
literally - of people throughout the world eat tofu as a
staple food, mostly they're not concerned with fat content),
but I make tofu pudding all the time without any oil.  I
don't know why you'd want oil in it.

Here's a recipe for a Pumpkin Mousse (or pudding) - no oil.
This has a very delicate flavor, I think it's excellent.

Pumpkin Mousse

1  12.3 oz  box silken tofu (the aseptically packed
one, I think soft regular tofu would be almost as good, too)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
pinch of ground cloves
3 cups (One 29 oz can) solid pack pumpkin

Place everything except pumpkin in a blender
or food processor and process until smooth.  Add half the
pumpkin, and puree again.  Transfer to a medium sized bowl
and beat in the remaining pumpkin until it becomes uniformly
creamy.  Cover tightly and chill for several hours or
overnight, to let the flavors combine and deepen.
(THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT!  It doesn't taste half as good
right away as 6-8 hours or more later).  To serve, spoon
into decorative bowls.  Yield: about 6 servings. (I'd say
this was a very generous six servings, it makes a lot.)