RECIPE: Curried Rice, Beans, and Greens Pilaf

This was for dinner tonight:

Curried Rice, Beans and Greens Pilaf

1/3 cup Major Grey's Mango Chutney
2 cups vegetable broth

1 red bell pepper, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup long grain rice
1 T Madras curry powder
1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 small dark sweet potato (yam), peeled and cut in 1/2 inch cubes
1 10 oz package frozen chopped collard greens
1/2 cup dried currants

plain soy yogurt (optional)

Place broth and chutney in blender (I used water and Better than
Bouillon for the broth).  Puree and set aside.

Saute bell pepper and garlic in scant amount of water until softened.
Add rice and curry powder and stir for 1 minute.  Add collards (frozen
OK) and stir until thawed through.  Add beans, yam, and currents and
stir to blend.  Add broth mixture.  Bring to simmer, cover and heat
till rice and yams are cooked, about 20 mintues.  Check at 15 mintues
to see if more water is needed.

Serve with soy yogurt if desired (it tastes good with it, I use Trader
Joes brand soy yogurt).

--
Michelle Dick
artemis@xxxxxxxxx