TVP info for Holli

>consistent key to all of the advice I got was "balance."  Thanks again.
One
>thing I didn't get an answer to is, WHAT IS TVP?  I keep hearing about how
>to cook it, where to buy it, etc. What is it?

Here's what I posted last week about this question:

-----------

TVP *is* spy. To quote the Mail Order Company's catalog:
"Texturized soy protein is a food product made from soybeans. It is produced
from soy flour after the soybean oil has been extracted, then cooked under
oressure, extruded, and dried."

> I bought Morning Star crumbles which are very good.  But it seemed to me,
> more wheat gluten than soy.

That's because it's *not* tvp, but a frozen meat substitute that contains
some "hydrolized soy protein" or whatever they're calling it.

TVP is hard, dry, and comes in various sizes and shapes, from little caramel
colored crumbles to 2" x 4" strips colored to look like beef strips. TVP
*must* be reconstituted in hot water before eating it or else you'll chip a
tooth! My husband always jokes around when I cook with TVP, saying it's time
to make the Gravy Train! :)

°o° Sue in FL °o°
But A Jersey Girl Forever
http://www.agoron.com/~susang/index.htm