dried soybeads

I purchased dried soybeans today in the Japanese food section, also known as
diazu. The directions say to soak 24 hours before cooking and then simmer 2
hours covered. Are there any variations to these directions that I should
know about? If I don't use these beans immediately, can they be frozen for
future use? I guess they could be used in soup. Suggestions?  Thanks in
advance.  Lois in South Jersey (where it's really cold and we're looking for
warming foods)