Re: question about recipe calling for boiling tofu in water

Hello...I always do this step when I use tofu to make Sloppy Joes
or a filling for tacos or enchiladas.  It makes the tofu chewier
and clumps it into larger particles, resembling ground beef.  I
have only tried it with water packed tofu, not the aseptic pack.
This cookbook is so old,  I am not sure aseptic packaging was
even available yet.  I think I may try it myself though, as I am
having a harder time getting the water packed tofu I like, but
buying aseptic by the case is no problem.

After the tofu has been boiled, I put it into a colander lined
with a plain white dishtowel, drain, then squeeze out the water.
Then crumble up the clump of tofu as fine as you want.

This info is from Cook with Tofu by Christina Clarke-1981.

Parboiling...Purpose:  Parboiling will firm tofu slightly and increase
its absorbing ability, and it will heat tofu through before serving it
with sauces.  Parboiling will also sweeten tofu and help stop it from
souring.   Method:  Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, then add 1/2 tsp
salt. (this gives tofu a firmer texture but is optional.)  Put and 8 to
12 oz cake of tofu into the water.  When the water returns to a boil
remove the pan from the heat, and let stand for 2 to 3 minutes.  Then
remove the tofu.  Comments:  Parboiled tofu should be used right away.
It is not suitable for blended recipes.  When parboiling tofu to halt
souring you may wish to omit the salt.

Bye...Elizabeth