Potato-cabbage soup

This was a successful experiment in cabbage-soup making, although I don't
know how it'll be a day later.  It was delicious the day I cooked it.  I'm
really looking for something that keeps well without the cabbage going
totally blah, so I could fix a few days' worth at one time.

			Potato-Cabbage Soup

1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 large white thin-skinned potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
6 cups broth (I used vegetable-bouillon powder in water)
seasonings: salt, thyme, couple dashes of Texas Pete hot sauce (that's what
     I used, obviously you'll use whatever flavors you like and have around)
1/2 large or 1 small cabbage, thinly sliced

(You can do the whole cooking in a big-enough soup pot, or sautee the
onions and garlic in a small pan where it's easier to control the
non-sticking and add them to a pot of simmering water/broth for the
potatoes and carrots part.)

Sautee onion and garlic in something flavorful, like red wine or balsamic
vinegar, about 3 minutes or until onion is soft.  Don't let the garlic
stick or scorch!  Add water or vegetable broth.  When it simmers, add
potatoes, carrots, and seasonings of your choice and cover the pot and let
it continue to simmer.

Because you thinly sliced the potatoes and carrots, they should cook to
tenderness in 15 minutes or so.  When they are tender or nearly so, add the
cabbage and cook just 2 more minutes uncovered.  If you like a thicker
soup, mash some of the potatoes in the pot before adding the cabbage.

Yielded 4 soup servings and quite a few yums.