flax

I've heard all about flax - bought some seeds recently.  But I'm not sure
what to do with them.  Do I have to grind them?  Why?  How do I store them?
What do they taste like?  I've read a lot about flax, know of the health
benefits, but no one seems to say what it tastes like or why you must grind
it.  Also, I believe that once it is ground it is more fragile (spoilable),
but how about the seeds unground - how long can I keep them and where?  Are
the seeds inedible whole?

Thanks.

Terry