RE: anchovy substitute

You guys, capers just don't cut it. Close, but they're capers.
(My favorite meal is marinara sauce with capers stirred in, over pasta.
Sometimes I throw in some minced calmatta olives.)
Frankly, there isn't a really good replacement for anchovies' tang and salt
combined.
Perhaps there's a way to combine the sea veggies with the tang and salt of
the capers...?
This is something I wish for for pasta puntanesca, Caesar dressing, and a
bunch of other stuff.
Oh well.  Sorry I don't have any better suggestions!

Christine