Re: Quinoa

Tina wrote:
> I'm fairly new here and I have never heard of quinoa.  Where would you find
> it?  How do you cook it?  Please be specific.  Could you cook it in a rice
> cooker??

Here's a description of quinoa from Lorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen.
Note: You should be able to find quinoa at any natural food store.  You may also
find it in better supermarkets.  Look near the exotic foods.

"This tiny Andean seed--considered the Mother Grain by the Incas--has become one
of my all-time favorites.  Not only is it quick to cook, easy to digest, and
delightfully versatile, it has a more impressive protein profile than that of
wheat and contains numerous amino acids (lysine, cystine, and methionine) not
normally found in grains.

"Cooked quinoa looks like a fluffy couscous except that each grain sports a
distinctive tiny white filament. . . . Some varieties have an unappealing,
slightly grassy taste.  Thorough washing helps diminish this quality, as does
cooking this grain with a smashed clove of garlic or substituting stock for
water.  Use stock if you plan to serve quinoa as a substitute for rice.  Switch
to water if using quinoa as the base for a cold salad that will be seasoned with
vinaigrette."

Basic Cooking Instructions:

Using twice as much water as quinoa, bring water to a boil.  Add quinoa and
salt.  Return to boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
Turn off the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.  Fluff with a fork.  If
there is any unabsorbed liquid, use a slotted spoon to serve the quinoa.

I would think it would work fine in a rice cooker.

Susan