Re:Roux for cheese sauce

Hi Kristen

I make the sauce without margarine.  I put about 2 heaped dessert spoons of
cornflour in a pan and mix in a little skimmed (fatfree) milk and stir until
all the lumps are gone.  Then I add the rest of the milk (about a pint for
the amount of cornflour above) and bring to the boil.  It thickens up nicely
and when I add the low fat cheese, some white pepper and a little dry
mustard you can't really tell the difference.

Hope this helps,

Emma

> Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 12:29:52 +1000
> From: "Andrews, Kirsten (K. Beazley, MP)" <Kirsten.Andrews@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Roux for cheese sauce
>
> I am in a cauliflower and cheese phase at the moment, where I
> steam/microwave cauliflower, cover it with a cheese sauce and put it in
the
> oven covered with a few breadcrumbs.  Delicious!
>
> I am trying to lower the fat content of the cheese sauce, and can do so
> using skim milk, low fat cheese and a lot less cheese than I used to, but
> the sauce has always begun with a roux made from flour and margarine.
This