Re: rice cookers

L. Kennelly wrote: if you use a rice cooker for
anything other than cooking rice, don't be shy.--Is there anything else
I can
cook in ours? The directions are careful to say it's not the same thing
as a
crock pot, but what about mixing grains in it? Anyone do that?

Yes, I have made mixed-grain pilaf in my aluminum rice cooker. I think
the trick is to use grains that take about the same amount of time:
brown rice, barley, red rices, wild rice, wheat berries.

My rice cooker problem: the rice (white or brown or mixed grains)
doesn't exactly burn, but a layer browns and sticks to the bottom, and I
have to scrape it out. It actually tastes good and is nice and crispy,
but I can't serve it with the rest of the rice or pilaf, and it's a fair
amount of work to get the pan clean. Any suggestions?
--
Karen Rosenbaum