bulghur, wheat germ, et alii

Hello Group,

I was leafing through my mother's copy of _Recipes for a Small Planet_ and
found many recipes calling for ground nuts.  Can this be replaced by
something else? Maybe wheat germ? Is wheat germ the same thing as bulghur?

Also, many soup recipes call for oil.  I usually replace with more stock
(1:1).  Is another substitute more appropriate? Should the proportion
change?

Thanks,
Sophie

PS What is a DH? I undestand the H is probably "husband" but can't figure
out the D.