Re: Work lunches

Hi Deborah!  Some good ideas for quick, healthy lunches but one thing sent
up a red flag (I realize this is slightly off-topic, but I feel it's
important so I'll be quick)  You mentioned wrapping an apple in plastic
wrap. poking a hole in it, nuking...I recently read an article on the safety
of plastic for food storage/microwaving and, according to the FDA, when
plastic wrap was introduced and deemed safe for contact with food way back
when, microwaving was not yet a popular cooking method...to make a long
story short (too late)  plastic wrap in direct contact with food especially
in the microwave is not a good idea - the chemical(s) used to make plastic
flexible leaches *scary* stuff into food...see the Spring 2000 issue of
"Veggie Life" for details.

OK, here's one quick idea for tofu I tried the other night in a pinch: We
had our yummy fat-free refried beans, whole wheat wraps, fresh cilantro,
salsa and Spanish rice all ready -  but no sour cream (horrors!)  so I took
some light silken tofu (boxed kind) and tossed it in the food processor with
a little water until smooth then added a few squirts of lemon juice, a pinch
of sea salt, and about a tablespoon of nonfat dry milk for sweetness process
'till completely smooth - voila! tofu sour cream!  My husband and I thought
it was great (but it does taste like tofu still so you have to like that
flavor).  Health and peace to all : )

Kristin