food mill as substitute for food processor

A food mill might work for pureeing stuff like cooked squash and
removing the stringy stuff. It will give you a bit more texture than
the food processor which can be nice for certain types of soups and
sauces. Food mills are often used for making tomato sauce or
applesauce after cooking the fruits because the mill will separate out
the skins and peels.

Food mills tend to be cheap compared to a cuisinart. They pretty much
look like a cylinder with a strainer insert for the bottom. Food is
forced through the bottom by turning a crank. My food mill came with 3
inserts (small, med, large hole.)

I never got one but there are mini food mills that are marketed
towards people making their own baby food.

jayne