Herb-Crusted Tofu

I made up the yummiest tofu recipe last night for dinner.

Herb-Crusted Tofu

1/2 package extra-firm Japanese tofu (or whatever kind you've got on hand,
but extra-firm is best)
1 Tbsp. mixed dried herbs (I used a mixture called "Poissonnade" in
French--but the ingredients were on a tag that fell off the jug they came
in; thyme, oregano, fennel, marjoram, would all be good bets--a pinch of
this, a pinch of that)
1 tsp. seasoned salt (I used Jamaica Me Crazy brand 'cause it's what I had
on hand)
olive oil spray
sweet tomato relish

Wrap the block of tofu in paper towels, put on a plate, and set a heavy pan
on top for 10-15 minutes (or less, if you have no patience, like me).  Cut
the tofu into slices about 1/4 inch (1 cm) thick.  Mix the herbs and
seasoned salt, put on a plate, and dip each slab of tofu in the herbs on
each of the two big sides (you can skip the edges!).  Spray or brush the
bottom of a non-stick frying pan with the olive oil and heat it--good and
hot, but not smoking.  Lay the tofu in the pan and sear on each side until
golden brown.  Serve with tomato relish on the side.  Some kind of chutney
would probably be good if you don't have tomato relish.

This served the two of us, but very skimpy.  Really only a side dish.  Next
time I double the recipe and we scarf the whole thing.  :-)

Bon appetit!

Ruth

Ruth C. Hoffman    ruth.hoffman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:ruth.hoffman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Language Resources
138 Oak Street
Lake Zurich, IL  60047-1322
Tel: 847.726.1608
Fax: 847.726.1652

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes."  --Marcel Proust