Lentil Recipes

For the person who was looking for lentil recipes- I found this recipe going through some old magazines.

PORTOBELLO AND BASIL LENTIL STEW

1 small red onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups diced portobello mushrooms
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
6 cups vegetable stock
6 oz tomato paste
1 1/2 cups red lentils
1 bunch basil, coarsely chopped (reserve a few leaves for garnish)
1/3 cup dry sherry

In a large soup pot, saute the onion, garlic, mushrooms, green pepper, salt and white pepper together until the mushrooms are tender. (The recipe says to saute in a Tablespoon of olive oil- My guess is you could saute in  some of the vegetable broth or maybe some non-fat cooking spray with the same result?)
This could take 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and tomato paste to the soup pot and mix well until the tomato paste is completely blended into the stock. Stir in the lentils and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat, cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the basil and simmer with the pot covered 15 minutes longer. Serve the stew in individuals bowls and float one tablespoon of dry sherry on top of each bowl. Garnish bowls with the remaining basil leaves, and serve hot.

There was also a fantastic recipe posted a while back- I believe by Ruth Hoffman-for "Spinach Lentil Stew". I've made it twice and it is truly scrumptious (Thanks Ruth!). I think the recipe is posted in the archives.

22