Zucchini-Brown Rice Casserole

 From The Simple Living Network On-Line Newsletter, October-December, 1999

This makes 2 very generous portions (enough for lunch the next day).

Zucchini-Brown Rice Casserole

1 cup brown rice - uncooked
1 T. olive oil  (okay, here use your favorite saute creation)
ground ginger to taste
1/2 cup green onions--chopped (regular chopped onion works fine)
2 each zucchini--large, sliced
3 large tomatoes--coarsely chopped (I substitute canned tomatoes broken up
and drained and saved juice and used juice as part of the 2 cups broth)
1 dash soy sauce--to taste
1 garlic clove--crushed
2 cups vegetable borth--boiling (use saved juice here if using canned
tomatoes)

Saute rice until golden brown (remember Rice A Roni?) Place in a glass 13x9
dish (I used aluminum pan).  Spread rice in an even layer.  Sprinkle
liberally with ginger.  Layer the onions, zucchini and tomatoes over the
rice.  To the hot vegie broth, add the soy sauce and garlic, then pour the
mixture evenly over the casserole.  Cover tightly and bake at 350 degrees 1
hr 15 min. until liquid is absorbed and vegies are tender.

This is on the bland side and if you want to jazz it up you can put on some
hot sauce or saute red pepper flakes along with the rice.  Use your
imagination.  It is an easy dish and many folks with gardens need a way to
use up those zukes.  Simple dinner with salad on the side.

Barb in FL