Tofu mayonnaise

Several people in today's digest were lamenting the quality of fatfree
mayonnaise for making mock tuna salad, etc.  I, too, detest the stuff,
but have been much happier with this very simple-to-make tofu version.
Do try it: the flavors are much cleaner than the commercial stuff, and
it's actually good for you!

Tofu mayonnaise

1/2 carton low-fat firm silken tofu (I used Mori-Nu)
1 clove of garlic, minced or pressed
1 T. dijon mustard
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1/2 t. salt (optional)
freshly ground pepper to taste (white is more aesthetic, but I just used
the black stuff I had on hand)
a bit of sweetner to taste (optional; I used 1/2 t. sugar)

Combine everything in a blender of food processor.  It will taste tofu-y
when it's just made, but don't decide to hate it just yet!  Let it sit
for a couple of hours (refrigerated) to allow the flavors to blend, and
that raw tofu taste will recede into the background.  This makes
approximately 1 cup of classically flavored homemade-style mayonnaise,
which is a good amount to try to see if you like it.  If it passes
muster, feel free to double it next time.  Experiment with additions to
customize it for different dishes.  I added a teaspoon of canned
chipotles with adobo sauce to a half cup of mayonnaise, and it was
delicious.

Hope this helps.

Jane