RE: Personal Vendettas and Angel Food Cake (Yum!)

Here's something lovely for the holidays.  It's a little labor intensive for
today's cooking, but well worth it.  I put a quick lemon sauce on it, (made
it up -- no recipe) but a light strawberry or raspberry, or even an exotic
fruit flavor such as mango would be a delicious accompaniment.

I also hope no one here ever sees or experiences a true "vendetta."
Every so often someone takes something personally -- it happens.  We're
grownups.  It's OK to disagree.  People do things differently.

I, after almost 8 years of dining low to almost no fat, have still learned a
lot from this discussion.  To think I started trying to cook this way when
manufacturer's were still putting out flavorless items, and plastic cheeze,
almost throwing it to the market out like a bone and expecting us to LIKE to
pay more for it! Well, things have truly changed.  Not only have I learned
to move away from manufactured food to whole foods, but the products have
improved so.
Ahh, something for which to be grateful today, I guess!

Happy Thanksgiving.  Enjoy!

* Exported from MasterCook *

                             Angel Food Cake

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Cake & Cookies                  Low Fat (Under 30%)

  1                cup  sifted cake flour
  1 1/2           cups  sugar -- sifted granulated
  12             large  egg whites
  1           teaspoon  cream of tartar
     1/4      teaspoon  salt
  1 1/2      teaspoons  vanilla extract
  1 1/2      teaspoons  lemon juice
     1/2      teaspoon  almond extract

Heat oven to 325o F.
Have ready an ungreased 9 3/4" angel food cake pan, preferably with a
removable bottom, or use parchment or wax paper to line bottom of pan with
nonremovable bottom.

In a small bowl, combine flour with 3/4 cup sugar.
Place remaining 3/4 cup sugar next to the mixer. Use a whisk to completely
combine and aerate flour/sugar mixture.

In a large, grease-free mixing bowl, beat egg whites at low speed until just
broken up and beginning to froth.
Add cream of tartar and salt and beat at medium speed until whites form very
soft, billowy mounds.
With the mixer still at medium speed, beat in 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at
a time, until all sugar is added and whites are shiny and form soft peaks.
Add vanilla, lemon juice, and almond extract and beat until just blended.

Place flour/sugar mixture in a sifter set over waxed paper.
Sift flour mixture over egg whites about 3 tablespoons at a time, and gently
fold it in, using a large rubber spatula, a large flat whisk, or your hand.

Gently scrape batter into pan, smooth the top and give pan a couple of raps
on the counter to release any large air bubbles.
Bake in lower third of oven for 50 to 60 minutes until cake is golden brown
and  the top springs back when pressed firmly, cool completely for 2 to 3
hours before, removing from pan.

If cake pan has feet, invert pan onto them.  If not, invert pan over the
neck of a bottle so  that air can circulate all around it. Allow to cool
completely for 2 to 3 hours before removing from pan.

To unmold, run a knife around edge being careful not to dislodge the golden
crust.
Pull cake out of pan and cut the same way around removable bottom to
release, or peel off parchment or wax paper, if used.
Cool cake completely, bottom side up.
When completely cold, cut slices by sawing gently with a serrated knife or
pulling work taut thread through the cake.
Serve cake the same day or freeze overnight if serving the next day.
(Cake may be frozen for up to 2 weeks, but will compress slightly.)

Source:
  "Cook's Illustrated Charter Issue (before 1996)"

Per serving: 149 Calories (kcal); trace Total Fat; (0% calories from fat);
4g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 100mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat;
2 Other Carbohydrates

Serving Ideas : Serve with lemon sauce

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0