Quick Garbanzo Soup

In response to the request for soup recipes, here's one of my favorites. It's nice and quick since it uses canned beans. You could, of course, use soaked and cooked beans if you have the time.

Quick Garbanzo Soup

1 small onion, finely chopped
1 cup minced fresh parsley
1/2 cup red or green bell pepper, minced
2 large cloves minced garlic
1 tsp. ground cumin
3 (15-ounce) cans garbanzo beans
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
cayenne red pepper to taste
salt to taste

Saute the onion, parsley, bell pepper, garlic and cumin in 1/4 cup water or broth. Puree the garbanzo beans and their liquid in a blender. Leave some chunks if you like some texture. Add blended mixture to the vegetables along with the 1/2 cup water and lemon juice. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. add Cayenne pepper and salt to taste. Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley.

Notes: Sometimes I use part garbanzos and part white beans. It doesn't change the flavor too much. I have used dried parsley when fresh was not available.