Red Lentil and Zucchini Soup

Just a note to thank Emily for the wonderful soup recipe.  I made it the
other night and it was so quick and easy, I can't imagine it taking much
longer than heating a can of soup.  (My husband, a known-hater of my veggie
creations, ate it up and asked for seconds.)  I'm not a fan of split peas,
so I used red lentils.  Super yummy.  Here it is for those of you who want a
second shot at it.

Casey
Dortmund, Germany

The key to being truly loyal and committed to friends and/or family
is loving and standing by them when they are the most unlovable.
    - Phil McGraw

Red Lentil and Zucchini Soup

1 Onion, diced
175g (1 cup) Red lentils (or split peas, increase cooking time to 1 hour)
2 large zucchini, diced
1 tsp turmeric
1L veg stock (about 4 cups)

Fry the onion in a little stock for a couple of minutes. Add the turmeric
and all but a couple of handfulls of the zucchini and cook for a couple more
minutes. Add the lentils and stock. Cook covered until the lentils are
mushy (about 20-25 minutes). Boil some water and cook the
reserved zucchini for about a minute, so they are hot but still crunchyish,
then drain, add to the soup and serve.

-- I just added the reserved zucchini to the simmering soup for the last 2
minutes, it turned out great.