Re: Crockpot question

You should use about half (or less)of the water the recipe calls for because
the crockpot cooks by steaming, not boiling.

When I made seitan stew yesterday in my crockpot, I mixed a bit of miso in a
half glass of water, and a cube of vegetable puree.  (Mashed vegetables
frozen in an ice cube tray for storage.) I shook it up to mix and added that
to the pot before placing the vegetables and seitan in there. About an hour
before the cooking time was complete, I mixed some arrowroot in with about 2
T. of water, shook it up, and added it so as to make a gravy.

Seitan Stew  (crockpot)
1/2 tsp. miso &
vegetable puree (1 T.) mixed with 1/2 - 3/4 cup water
or...  1/2-3/4 cup vegetable broth
2 carrots, sliced
1 cup Peanut potatoes, or 1 cup diced potatoes
3/4 cup seitan, diced
1/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 tsp. sage
1/2 tsp. arrowroot or cornstarch dissolved in 2 T. water
salt and pepper to taste

Mix together the miso, veg puree and water and pour into bottom of crockpot.
Add carrots, potatoes and seitan.  Cook on low for 3 hours.  Add mushrooms,
sage and arrowroot, cook another hour.  Add salt and pepper, serve with warm
crusty bread.

Serves 2-4, depending on portions.

Lee Ann
Lee Ann Reiners