mushroom barley soup

I suspect that the people on the Digest never got my actual soup recipe.   Here it is again:

* Exported from MasterCook *

                         mushroom and barley soup

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 4     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Healthy And Hearty              Soups & Stews
                Vegetarian

  4             ounces  dried porcini mushroom
  2        tablespoons  olive oil
  3             medium  carrot -- peeled and sliced
  1                cup  pearl barley
  1                     bay leaf
  3               cups  vegetable stock
                        salt and pepper
     1/4         pound  shiitake mushroom -- stemmed and roughly chopped

Soak porcini in 3 cups very hot water.  Put olive oil in a medium saucepan and turn heat to high. Add shiitakes and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to brown.  Add barley and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until it begins to brown; sprinkle with a little salt and pepeer.  Remove the porcini from their soaking liquid and reserve liquid.  Sort through porcini and discard any hard bits.

Add porcini to pot and cook, stirring, for about a minute.  Add bay leaf, mushroom, soaking water and stock.  Bring a boil, then lower the heat to simmer; cook until barley is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.  Add soy sauce and taste.  Add salt if necessary and plenty of pepper.

Neil N. Bernstein
Professor of Law
Washington University
314/935-6408