Saving Roasted Peppers

Hi folks--

One of my favorite LF veg sandwiches involves water-packed roasted red
peppers as the "meat" and anything else I have on hand (sliced cukes,
grainey mustard, FF cheese, etc.)
However, roasted peppers are pricey in most supermarkets size cans and jars.
I have found 3 lb. restaurant cans(I'm serious about my peppers)at the local
wholesale warehouse for only $3.99 but I can't eat that many sandwiches or
use the peppers for other purposes with losing about a third of them to
spoilage. I tried freezing some but they are literally mush when defrosted.
Has anyone preserved or stored roasted peppers in bulk and if so--how?

Tx in advance---Mike