VLF Lasagne (was: My Fav. Dinner)

Friday 30 August 1996

Hurray! Mystery & suspense lasagne recipes! The ingredients look
good - garam masala in lasagne??!!! I can't wait! So in the
meantime here is *my* favourite lasagne recipe. It's basically
ratatouille in there, but a simplified method of preparing it
which I think works well. Really quick to prepare.

Kate

Mediterranean Lasagne
---------------------

Serves 4

1 400g (15oz) can tomatoes
1 (about 12-16oz) aubergine (eggplant), diced
3 medium courgettes (zucchini), halved along the length
                          and sliced into thick half-moons
2 bell peppers (different colours), cut into 1/2 inch squares
2 large onions, finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
plenty of salt & black pepper
200g (7oz) oven-ready lasagne - about 10-12 pieces
125 ml (1 cup) water

Put the tomatoes in a large pan and crush with a potato masher.
Add the vegetables, herbs, chilli powder and seasoning. Bring to
the boil, cover and simmer 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Layer
the sauce and lasagne pieces in a casserole dish, beginning
and ending with a layer of vegetables. Pour over the water to
moisten. Bake 190 C (375 F) for 45-50 minutes (covered) and
serve with a green salad.