Mushroom Gravy

With the holidays approaching, I thought I'd post my favorite fatfree gravy
recipe. I use it with mashed potatoes and veggie loafs from time to time. Don't
be put off by the ginger and soy sauce - it doesn't come out tasting asian, but
has a nice rich color and flavor.

 From the New McDougall Cookbook:

Garlic-Mushroom Sauce

1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 3/4 cups water
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
2 1/2 tablespoons corn starch, dissolved in 1/4 cup water
freshly ground pepper to taste
dash sesame oil (I never use this)

Place the mushrooms in a saucepan with 1/4 cup of the water. Add the soy sauce,
garlic, and ginger. Saute until the mushrooms are softened slightly, about 4
minutes.Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups water and the cornstarch mixture. Cook,
stirring until the mixture boils and thickens. Season with the pepper and
sesame oil.

Enjoy!

Julie in San Jose