Non-reactive pans

One more question: I've been cooking for 31 years, but I never did figure
out what a "non-reactive pan" was.  It usually has something to do with
tomatoes or lemons.  Are we worried about messing up the *pan* or the
*food*?  What happens to the pan, or the food, when you disobey those
orders?  Is the damage permanent?  What type of pan is acceptable?  Does
the food in question make a difference in determining what type of pan is
acceptable?  (I know apples and oranges aren't comparable, but what about
lemons and tomatoes?)

The only thing I know for sure is that once I wrapped leftover pizza in
aluminum foil, and the tomato topping ate the foil....

Thanks for answering a stupid question! :-)

Ruth Hoffman       ruthhoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lake Zurich, IL
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes." --Marcel Proust