Wheat-free diet

Someone's post yesterday prompted me to write.  In the HFS and in
vegetarian literature there are a lot of references to wheat free foods and
gluten-free foods.  What is the benefit of this?  Is it simply for allergy
purposes?  If a public response doesn't meet the guidelines for this list,
please e-mail me privately with any info you could share.  Thanks in
advance.
-Holley