Muesli recipe

Peggy asked for a muesli recipe.  This one can be toasted or untoasted.

Some helpful person called Jeanette sent this to the list last year.  I
use it all of the time.  It makes a large batch in itself, although I
made double last December and it made wonderful Christmas presents.

6 cups rolled oats
1 cup bran
1 cup wheatgerm
1/2 to 1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
a pinch of salt
dried fruit of your choice (raisins, sultanas, dates, apricot etc!)

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large shallow ovenproof tin
(I use my old roasting tin). Mix the water and vanilla essence and
pour over the dry stuff. Stir so that everything is moistened. Bake
at 120C(250F) for several hours, stirring well every half hour to
break up clumps, until dry and slightly crispy. Cool down in the
oven, then mix in dried fruit of your choice. Store in an airtight
container.

This doesn't come out 'too crunchy' the way regular toasted muesli does.
If you really don't want it toasted, just mix it all up and leave to
dry.

Hope this is what you were after Peggy.  Thanks Jeanette!

Kirsten
Kirsten Andrews
Executive Assistant to the Deputy Vice Chancellor
University of South Australia
Ph: 61 8302 0544
Fax: 61 8302 0220