Re: cheaper VLF

I have been pleasantly surprised to find that we are spending less eating
vegetarian VLF, even though we also are trying to buy organic whenever
possible.

The key seems to be to 1) make things from scratch, 2) keep looking for bean
dishes that really do tasted great! 3) buy in bulk when you notice a good
price.

We have been inspired by the _Tightwad_Gazette_ strategy of keeping a price
book, tracking unit prices of key items so that you will know when there is a
good price.  It really does work!  The other day we found fat free soy milk
on sale for $1 off per carton.  So, we put in an order for 30 cases (360
cartons!)  While this does require the money up front to buy in bulk, we figure
we saved $360 on a staple that we will eat before the year is out.