Re: McDougall Question

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997 18:46:30 -0500  susan@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> This may seem nitpicky, but can anyone explain to me why couscous is
> allowed on the Maximum Weight Loss Plan?  It's just pasta, only in itty
> bitty bits!  It's definitely a "processed" food, made with semolina
> flour, and not a whole grain.

I think it's because, like most people, John McDougall did not realize
that couscous is not a distinct grain.  There is whole wheat couscous,
but, as you note, this is still a pasta and to be consistent with the
rest of his MWLP should not be permitted.  I suspect, however, that if
confronted on the issue he would likely say that he hasn't found this
one exception to be a problem in practice. :-)

Being a foodie, I too notice little inconsistencies like this.

--
Michelle Dick             artemis@xxxxxxxxx              East Palo Alto, CA