Re: Dinner ideas

Well, we've done soup three days in a row now, so this
seems popular. I like the idea about quick tacos and
burritos-- I think I'll look up the TVP taco recipe in the
archives, add some beans, and make that sometime
this week. I also found a box of couscous in the back of
the pantry, so we'll probably do veggies-over-couscous
this week, too.

Dinner last night was a snap-- because my sweetie made
it while I worked :) It was really good- a simple sweet potato
and turnip soup that was modified from Alice Water's Chez
Panisse Vegetables cookbook. Most recipes are not suited
for this list, but she does have some wonderful ideas about
combining vegetable flavors. I had never had sweet potatoes
in soup before, and I really liked this-- they add a wickedly
sweet taste to the soup that is a nice change from my usual
savory soups.

Anyway, my sweetie's version is listed below. I had a bowl for
lunch today with some garbanzo beans thrown in, and it was
wonderful.

Dirk's Sweet Potato and Turnip Soup <T>

1 leek
1 medium red onion
1 large turnip (more would be good)
2 white potatoes
1 sweet potato
1 Tbl fresh chopped rosemary
2 quarts vegetable stock and/or water
salt and pepper to taste

Cut off dark green tops from leeks, rinse very
thoroughly, and dice. Chop onion, and saute
leeks and onion in  the bottom of  a large soup
pot in a little water until soft. Peel and dice turnips
and potatoes, and add to soup pot. Add a little
stock and stew for 5 minutes, stirring gently.
Add the rest of the stock and the rosemary, and
simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are
fully cooked.  Puree about half of the soup in a
food processor or blender, and return to the pot.
Season to taste with salt and pepper, reheat,
and serve.
kwvegan