Basic Help

I am new to this list, and new to fat-free eating.  I have read through
the FAQ's and the archives, and I must confess, I am lost.  Is there a
basic book or resource that I could read?  (As an example, one of the
recipes called for "cooked chickpeas" -- well I just don't know!)

Also, what are the basic
ingredients that I should have in my pantry?  Everything I currently eat
is *gulp* processed, and I am really at a loss as to where to begin.

This will be the first time that I have used a recipe, and not just
followed directions on the back of a box.  Any help would be GREATLY
appreciated.

Thanks again for any help,
Maureen