3/4 cup white rice (preferably basmati)
1 quart reduced-fat soy milk
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup currants or raisins
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
sliced seasonal fruit (optional)

Bring the water to a boil in a heavy saucepan. Add the rice and simmer,
uncovered, for 5 minutes. Drain the rice and return it to the pan with
the soy milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, currants or raisins, and
lemon peel. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for
30 to 40 minutes, stirring often, until the pudding is thick and creamy.
Serve warm or chill for at least 2 hours or overnight. If you like,
garnish the rice pudding with strawberry slices or other fresh fruit.

Serves 4
Total time: 55 minutes

Per 6-oz  serving: 199 calories, 6.0 g protein, 3.1 g fat, 37.6 g
carbohydrates, 4 g saturated fatty acids, 1.3 g polyunsaturated fatty
acids, 6 g monounsaturated fatty acids, 0 mg cholesterol, 23 mg sodium,
2.9 g total dietary fiber

Note:  I used vanilla flavored non-fat rice milk (reducing the total fat
in the recipe somewhat), and reduced the vanilla to 1/2 teaspoon and the
maple syrup to 1/4 cup. Next time I think I'll try using arborio rice
instead of basmati.

I believe this is from _Vegetarian Feasts_ by Martha Rose Schulman, but
I don't really recall.

Diane
brooksong@xxxxxxxx